6:00 arrive/ nametags… grab a treat
– April 17th, 2012, the BIAWA is hosting a Stroll through the Tulips, an accessible bus will pick up and drive people to Laconner. Cost is $3 each individual with a brain injury is allowed to bring 1 guest. For more info call or email Britney at 206.897.6186 or BrittneyN@Braininjurywa.org
– next month there will be a TBIMS forum right after our meeting, it will be about vision after a brain injury, the form will start at 7 pm and go until 8:30. Ill need to attend this forum so our meeting will end at 7:00pm, I’d like to go to the forum as a group, so if you’re interested, plan of staying until 8:30 next month
6:20 – This month our topic is Advocacy, which means to speak up. I thought that it would be nice to have a discussion about what this means to us and different situations where we’ve used it or wish we had.
– Ask for help, this is especially useful if your in a retail or service establishment
– you can call ahead and ask about accessibility or special accommodations, for example if you can avoid waiting in a line to get into a concert or a movie premier
– many institutions like schools have offices of disability support, contact this office well before your first day of class (it’s also helpful to do a test run, if possible to figure out the best route to get between your classes)
– if you don’t feel like your needs are being met and it would be reasonable to do so you can contact the ADA info line would ba a good place to start (800) 514-0301 (voice) (here is a link to a page on their website that gives some basic information: http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm#anchor63109)
– everyone here has had the experience of being asked what’s wrong with them, or some equivalent question. If you’re like me your first inclination is to respond negatively, maybe by saying something rude. But it recently dawned on me that most of the time people are just trying to identify with me when they ask. I haven’t figured out the perfect response but recently I’ve been trying to just tell people that it’s not ok to go around asking people what’s wrong with them.
6.30 lets break into small groups and discuss
7.15 come back together as a big group and discuss